Monday, February 9, 2015

Month-of-Mini-Desserts: Mince Pielets


This was another one of those desperation creations. I had made some dish or another that required mince pie filling. Well, you know how big those jars are, and what is one to do with most of the contents remaining after this dish (that wasn’t all that terrific, as I recall)?

So, I broke out the piecrust and made little tiny pielets. Why didn’t I just make a big pie instead? My family doesn’t like mince pie. Too much sugary fruit all gummed up together for their taste.

But to my surprise, by changing the proportion of crust to filling, they loved them. These are a holiday stand-by! The rest of the year I fill them with apple or cherry filling. I even wrote about these in my PillsburyBake-Off Losers post a while back.  
 
If you kind of squint, they do look a bit like pilot wings (thus the dual meaning for pielet). But squint or not, these tasty little guys give you a two-bite dessert that is just right after a nice meal.

Mince Pielets (makes 26-30 three-inch circles)

2 pie crusts (homemade or store bought)
½ cup mince pie filling (or a bit more or less)
cinnamon-sugar mixture for sprinkling


Preheat oven to 375°. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Roll crusts to 12” circles. Using a cookie cutter cut out dough circles. (with crimper if possible; mine is 3” but they don’t make them anymore)

Re-roll scraps and cut more circles until all dough is used up.

Put 1 teaspoon mince filling off-center in a dough circle. Fold over one side of the circle and crimp the edges with a fork or with the crimper on your cookie cutter.

Repeat until all the dough circles are filled. Place on parchment paper and sprinkle generously with cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Bake until browned (about 15-20 minutes). Remove to cookie rack to cool. Can be eaten warm or chilled.

NOTE: Use any fruit filling you want, just make sure the fruit chunks aren’t too big for the circle. Some oozing is to be expected, thus the parchment paper for baking.

DH's RATING: 5 Tongues Up
Even though he doesn't like mince filling, this pielet is one of his favorites. A two-bite treat of fruit, spices, and pastry.


My protagonist Alli and I share a lot of the same traits, cooking-wise, that is. I consider myself an inventive cook, a problem-solver, and Alli has those traits as well. Go figure, huh? Say, if you like these recipes, you might also like what Alli and Gina cook up in Mission Impastable. If you like a two-fer--mystery + cook book--you just might enjoy it. If you’ve already read the book, please consider writing an Amazon or Goodreads book review. I’d love to hear what you thought of it. http://amzn.to/1eYJ4AY

No comments:

Post a Comment