Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Month-of-Mini-Desserts: Cherry Pie-in-a-Jar


On February 2 I shared Lemon Chiffon in these cute half pint canning jars. They make easy storage for desserts and extra cute serving dishes. I first started using canning jars for desserts when I happened upon pie-in-a-jar recipes. How clever is that? Single servings of pie that you bake in the jar. Couldn’t be easier!

Here’s a pie-in-a-jar site I happened on that went step-by-step. I followed those steps the first time, and then I noted what I needed to know that wasn’t there and changed some of her directions. Here’s how I make Pie-in-a-Jar! There’s always some in my freezer for when I need a quick dessert that looks like I spent the day in the kitchen!

Cherry Pie-in-a-Jar (makes 5 pies) 

1 can cherry pie filling
1 can sour cherries, drained
2 single pie crusts

In a medium bowl, mix the cherry pie filling and the drained sour cherries together and set aside.

If using store-bought pie crusts roll them to make them a bit larger and thinner.

Using the ring for the canning jar, cut 5 rounds from one pie crust with the lid. Repeat with the second pie crust. Save the scraps for patching. Set five rounds aside for tops.

The remaining five rounds will be the bottom crust for the pie. Fit one round into one jar, tearing off the excess and patching with it and scraps of dough until the entire inside, but below the rim, is covered with dough. Press out air pockets so the dough fits tightly against the jar.

Repeat the process with the four remaining jars.

Divide cherry pie filling among the jars.

The set-aside pie crust rounds are the tops. You can cut some into strips to make a lattice crust and/or use a small cutter to make vents in a solid top. I use the end of my funnel to cut out little circles.

Preheat oven to 375°. Place jars in a baking pan with sides so you don’t have them sliding off. Bake for at least 45 minutes (more if needed to brown the crust).

NOTE: Cover each jar with a canning lid and ring. Put in freezer to bake later. When you want to bake the frozen pies, remove the rings and lids (wash to reuse). Place spaced apart on a baking sheet with sides and put into cold oven. Turn oven to 375°. The jars will warm up as the oven does. Bake for 60 minutes (or until crusts are browned). 


DH’s Rating:
5 Tongues Up! He has had this dessert many times and has been known to ask what kind of pie (apple or cherry) is in the freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment