Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Month-of-MIni-Desserts: Black Bottom Cupcakes


In honor of National Cream Cheese Brownie Day, I bring you a modification of a family favorite. Pattycake gave me this recipe decades ago, and other than that I have no origin story. However, there are lots of recipes on the Internet similar to this one. They’re not beautiful to look at, but your tummy will love them!

One modification that I made was to increase the cocoa powder. The original recipe calls for one-third cup, but I use one-half cup. As an aside, did you know you can increase the intensity of your cocoa powder by baking it?

I recently bought a new-to-me product: black cocoa. Look for some recipes this month as I try it out!

Those who read me regularly know that I enjoy tweeting recipes. Here’s what I have tweeted for this recipe. Can you read it?

Black Bottom Cupcakes-pt 1  Mix 1.5c flr/1c sug/.5c cocoa/1t bs/.5t salt/.3c oil/1T vinegar/1T van. Beat. Put n muf pan ~18 1/3 full batter

BlackBottomCupcakes-pt 2 Mix 1c cr ch/1 egg/.3c sug/1/8t salt+1c choc chps. Top batter c 1 heaping t cr ch mix. Bake 350° 30m +/-

Even if you could read it, you’ll find the one below much easier! In keeping with this month’s theme, I modified the size. I didn’t make 18 regular sized cupcakes, but 36 minis.

Black Bottom Cupcakes (makes 36 mini-cupcakes with leftover batter, filling)
Filling:                                            
8 ounces cream cheese, softened                          
1 egg                                            
1/3 cup sugar                                   
1/8 teaspoon salt                                   
1 cup mini-chocolate chips                 
                                            
Cupcakes:                                            
1½ cups flour                                            
1 cup sugar        
½ cup cocoa powder (not cocoa mix)                                   
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine cream cheese, egg, sugar and salt. Beat with electric mixer until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips. Set aside.

Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, soda, and salt. 

Add water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Beat well with electric mixer.

Fill mini-muffin tins lined with paper baking cups or coated with non-stick baking spray 3/4 full of chocolate batter.

Top with scant teaspoon of cream cheese mixture.

Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Let cool five minutes in pan and remove to a cookie rack for cooling. Refrigerate when cool.

NOTE: You will have leftover chocolate batter and cream cheese mixture. Tomorrow I’ll show you two new desserts using the leftovers.

DH’s RATING: 5 Tongues Up
As said above, this is always a 5 Tongues Up recipe. I make them a lot and tuck some into the freezer for an nice treat once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment