Sunday, February 8, 2015

Month-of-Mini-Desserts: Lemon Squares in the Round


I’ve been making these lemon squares for decades and the origin is lost in the mists of time. But, taking a quick run through the various lemon bar recipes on the Internet, I’m not likely to get called to task for plagiarism.

By the way, do you know you can’t copyright a recipe’s ingredients or measurements? You can only copyright the directions. That’s one reason you see many recipes that look soooo much alike.

To be immodest, I am kinda known for my lemon squares. To switch it up, last time I made them for company, I cut rounds out of the pan, rather than into squares. Yep. You’re right. There were a lot of odd chunks left over, and I didn’t get as many servings from a pan. But it was worth it because they were cute on the plate! I know my photography doesn't convince you of that!

By the way, the crumbs and scraps and chunks didn’t go to waste. I Softened some vanilla ice cream, mixed it all together, and gave DH a dessert he’d never had before (and never will again!).

Tart Lemon Squares in the Round (makes 4-6 depending on cutter used) 
Crust:                                                               
1 c flour                                                     
1/3 c confectioner’s sugar                                   
5 T solid shortening        
2 tablespoons lemon zest                                   

Filling:
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons lemon zest
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
8 tablespoons fresh lemon juice


For the crust:
Combine flour, sugar, shortening and zest. Mix to a coarse ground meal. Press into bottom of 11” x 7” lightly greased pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

For the filling:
While the crust is baking, whisk sugar, flour, zest, baking powder, and salt.

Blend eggs into flour mixture and whisk to blend.

Add lemon juice and whisk thoroughly.

Pour onto baked crust and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Cool 30 minutes. Cut into 12 squares and dust with confectioner’s sugar.


DH’s Rating: 4 Tongues Up
He only gave me 4 Tongues Up because he thinks I make them too tart. He liked the scraps better with the ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment