Thursday, February 5, 2015

Month-of-Mini-Desserts: Fond(ue) of Chocolate


Back in the day, I’m talking the 1970s here, we used to have lots of fondue parties. We began with cheese fondue for an appetizer with bread chunks and raw veggies. We moved onto the entrée with broth and/or oil bubbling away to cook meat and veggies. But, everyone knew the real fondue of the evening was dessert.

Since today is National Chocolate Fondue Day, what better mini-dessert can there be but warm chocolate to dip your fruit, cake, and pretzels into? I love the sweet/salty combos and have even converted DH to the taste! This is a man who doesn’t often like to confuse his taste buds.

There are tons of fondue recipes on the Internet. And I’ve tried my share of them. But who knows chocolate better than Ghiradelli®, so I am sharing their chocolate fondue  
recipe with you today. I didn’t even modify it; it’s that good!

Ghiradelli® Ultimate Chocolate Fondue (serves four)
 cups whole milk or heavy cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 ounces Ghirardelli 70% Cacao Extra Bittersweet Chocolate baking bar, broken
or chopped into 1-inch pieces
6 ounces Ghirardelli Milk Chocolate baking bar, broken or chopped into 1-inch          pieces
2 tablespoons chocolate liqueur (optional)


In a medium saucepan, combine the milk, vanilla, and butter. Heat over medium heat until the mixture just simmers.

Remove from the heat and stir in the bittersweet and milk chocolates and chocolate liqueur until completely melted and smooth.

Serve over a heat source that will keep the fondue warm, but not hot.

NOTE: I serve chocolate fondue with a combination of fruits, chunks of pound cake (toasted), and pretzels (you could also dip thick potato chips). The fruits I use include: pineapple chunks, apple slices, tangelo segments, banana slices, pears, and any other fruit hanging around my house at the time. Makes this dessert almost a health food, right?

DH’s Rating: 5 Tongues Up!
I told you he’s my chocolate guy. I am the one who turned him onto salty-sweet combos. Now he loves ‘em.

2 comments:

  1. my husband and I loved having fondue nights we haven't in years i think this may go n my valentine menu!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We enjoyed fondue dinners, too. I hope you enjoy this version of chocolate fondue. Thanks for coming by, Cathy. It's always good to see you here.

      Delete