Saturday, February 18, 2017

Month-of-Few Ingredients: Water Infusions


I am not a water drinker. This is a problem, given I live in the desert southwest. Now, I will drink water with certain restrictions. Because I know it’s good for me. Because my health matters. But I have to remind myself to do so. DH is a huge water drinker. Out of the tap, even. Ugh!

When I remember, I put a container of water next to my desk. That helps. Unless, I get so involved in writing that I don’t remember to sip. I mean, I get so involved sometimes my coffee is cold before I remember to drink it. And I LOVE coffee in the morning.

But back to my restrictions: For me to drink water it has to be really cold, and the water has to have flavor. Not chlorine! Yuck! We use a water filtration so I take the taste of tap water out of my drink. But then, I put good flavors back in.

What kind of flavor then? Well, I put “stuff” into my water. One of my writing partners, Annie Weissman, gave me an infuser water container. Unfortunately, it is not handy right now, but at the top is a stock photo that is similar. You put strawberries (or something) in the basket in the middle, fill with water, and then drink it. Yum. I can do that. Over and over. I usually just fill an ugly quart container with ingredients and water. That's why I'm not showing you that. Today I'm drinking orange peel and cucumber.

Sometimes I use a single fruit, herb/spice, or vegetable. I’ll put cucumber in the water or lemon. If I have an orange for lunch, I put the orange peel into a glass and fill it with water. I slice some strawberries and add to water. I drop in some mint leaves. I pick rosemary or basil and crush it a little to release the flavor. See, I don’t need a lot of flavor. Just a little dab will do me.

Here are some recipes for you to try that are a little more adventuresome. Go to the sites below for some gorgeous pictures of water infused with fruits, vegetables, and herbs. You will likely muddle your infusee to release flavors. Muddle means to crush a little. Hopefully, these combinations will encourage you to experiment on your own.

Try:
Orange slices with vanilla
Drop an ice cube of frozen juice (cranberry, orange, pear, etc.) into the water
Cinnamon sticks simmered then cooled. Add a few drops to water
Cucumber, lime, strawberry, and mint
Lemon, raspberry, and rosemary
Orange, blueberry, and basil
Lime, ginger root, and basil
Lime and mint
Watermelon, honeydew melon, and mint
Cucumber, mint, and jalapeno
Lemon and thyme
Orange, cinnamon stick, cardamom, and whole cloves
Pear and fennel
Pear and vanilla
Lemon and lavender
Strawberry and mint
Lemon, mint, and cucumber
Watermelon and basil
Blackberry and mint
Apple and cinnamon stick
Mix of citrus-lemon, lime, grapefruit, orange, tangerine, blood orange in any combo
Strawberry and jalapeno
Peach and ginger root
Lemon, lime, and mint

NOTE:
Check out these sites for some more info on nutritional value of water infusions and for more recipes. Then go hunting for others. There’s a lot out there. You could have a different combination every day.

https://www.yahoo.com/makers/skip-the-high-calorie-sodas-and-drink-more-water-128168488400.html

http://dish.allrecipes.com/fresh-ideas-for-making-infused-water/

http://dailyburn.com/life/recipes/fruit-infused-water-recipes/


DH’s Rating: 0 Tongues Up  Okay, this was predictable. He doesn’t like anything in his water and seems not to notice all the chemicals in tap water. So, trust me, these are great combinations. He just can’t tell that.


If you liked ideas, I’d really appreciate you spreading the word on your social media outlets. Here are some pre-made Twitter and Facebook posts you can use or modify.

Tweet: Infused waters are delicious, good for you, low cal, no fat ways to get and stay hydrated. See #recipes from @Good2Tweat at http://bit.ly/2lZ0lm4

Facebook: Flavored waters made with fruits and vegetables keep you hydrated and provide an extra boost of vitamins and minerals with a low cal, no sugar drink. Drop the sodas and go au naturel. See Parsley, Sage, and Rosemary Time for recipes at http://bit.ly/2lZ0lm4

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oh, goody! What did you think of the Nutty Chocolate-Nutella Croissants recipe? I gave a shout-out to you with a link to your Amazon page.

      Delete