Sunday, February 19, 2017

A Month-of-Few Ingredients: Salmon Tacos


At my house, the thinking is “cook once, eat it again and again in new ways”. That means fixing larger amounts than needed for one meal. You do it, too, I know. It’s smart. It’s economical for time. And it gives you a chance to flex that “creative cook gene” a bit.

One of our favorite ways to re-purpose (so much better than calling it leftovers, right?) is with grilled salmon. Sometimes it becomes part of my world-famous (okay, only locally-famous) quiche.

Another way to use the extra salmon DH grilled using my citrus marinade is in fish tacos. We sometimes use hard shells I make by baking them at 400 degrees for a few minutes nestled between the upside down cups of a muffin tin until they get hard. They’re not the even shape of store bought, but they’re fresher.

But most of the time, we eat the salmon tacos on soft flour or corn tortillas. Delicious either way. Here’s how I make my five-minute salmon tacos:

Salmon Tacos (serves 3-4)

2 large salmon filets, already grilled
¾ cup salsa
1 ½ cups coleslaw mix
2 tablespoons cole slaw dressing (sometimes I use poppyseed dressing)

Put coleslaw mix in a small bowl and toss with dressing. Set aside.

Put salsa into small skillet and heat. Break up salmon into small chunks and toss into the skillet.

Stir around until all pieces are coated and bubbly. Remove from heat.

Spoon salmon onto tortillas and top with coleslaw. Eat and enjoy!

As with most of our Southwest meals, I serve this with black beans and Mexicorn.

NOTE:
You can add cheese, tomatoes, or any other ingredient you put on tacos, but we like them like this. In this recipe, you could use salmon cooked another way, but we like the flavor that grilling adds to the salmon.

DH’s Rating: 5 Tongues Up  “I feel so virtuous when I have salmon tacos. My heart is so healthy.”  He talks like that sometimes.

If you liked this recipe, I’d really appreciate you spreading the word on your social media outlets. Here are some pre-made Twitter and Facebook posts you can use or modify.

Tweet: Salmon tacos are good for you, low-cal, and a healthful-fat way to eat dinner. See #recipes from @Good2Tweat at http://bit.ly/2lVd7WD

Facebook:  See Parsley, Sage, and Rosemary Time for a salmon taco recipe you can make in less than five minutes using cooked salmon. Check out Sharon Arthur Moore’s take on this healthful taco at http://bit.ly/2lVd7WD

No comments:

Post a Comment