Friday, February 24, 2017

A Month-of-Few Ingredients: Guinness Stout Bread


Don’t you just wish! No, this is my Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake with Salted Caramel Glaze. Not even close to today’s recipe, but I wanted to show you one of the offerings I made for the bake table at our church’s flea market this weekend. In fact, if you’re around 59th Avenue and Cholla this weekend, stop in to the West Valley Unitarian Universalist Church Flea Fair. Get the cake or one of my macaroons, a nutty muffin, or a loaf of my famous beer bread, the topic of today’s post.

I don’t know about you, but I had me at “Guinness.” I cook a lot with Guinness Extra Stout. I put it in chili, beef stew, and gingerbread. And, of course, this beer bread.

This is bread without yeast, but it tastes like a yeast bread because of the beer. However, it is dense, and not yeast-bread like. I based my version of this quick bread on this beer bread recipe.

This is one of my all-time favorite breads. It is hearty and goes well with soups or just to eat with butter. It doesn’t make great sandwiches because of its crumbly texture, but serve a slice alongside that shrimp salad for lunch and feel as if you’re getting a hearty meal.

Guinness Stout Bread
3 cups self-rising flour (see NOTE)
1/4 cup sugar
12 ounces beer (I use Guinness Extra Stout)
1/4 cup butter, melted


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a bread loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Using a spoon fill the measuring cup with self-rising flour. This is important. Don’t just fill the cup by dipping into the flour. You want the flour layered, not packed.

Mix the flour and sugar. Add the beer.

Add the beer (very foamy at this point) and stir around just until all the dry ingredients are mixed with beer. This will be a thick batter.

Pour into prepared bread loaf pan and even out the top and fill in the corners.

Pour melted butter evenly over the dough.

Bake one hour. Remove from pan and let cool on a rack for at least 15 minutes.


NOTE: If you want to make your own self-rising flour for this recipe, add 3 teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon of salt to 3 cups of flour. Sift several times to fully incorporate the ingredients.

DH’s Rating: 5 Tongues Up! He loves beer so anything I make with beer gets an automatic five tongues! It disappears quickly. See, I know how to keep him happy!

If you liked this recipe, I’d really appreciate you spreading the word on your social media outlets. Here are some pre-made Twitter and Facebook posts you can use or modify.

Twitter: Beer bread, yummy. #recipe for Guinness Stout Bread by @good2tweat at http://bit.ly/2mqUVAs

Facebook: If you want an easy bread your guests will eat up fast, check out Sharon Arthur Moore’s blog, “Parsley, Sage, and Rosemary Time” for Guinness Stout Bread. http://bit.ly/2mqUVAs


A reminder:
House rules for what counts as an ingredient:
Salt and pepper are not ingredients.
Oil is not an ingredient when it’s for the cooking pan, not the recipe.
Water is not an ingredient.

2 comments:

  1. Some great recipe you have outlined there. I’ll be sure to try this out and will let you know the feedback. Till then all the best for your future endeavors

    ReplyDelete