Thursday, February 27, 2020

A Month-of-Mediterranean: Zucchini Rice Pilaf


My family has always loved rice pilaf as a side dish with grilled fish or chicken, or as a casserole where I toss leftover veggies, animal protein, and cheese with leftover rice pilaf and bake in the oven with a splash of more broth for a super quick dinner.

I always make enough that I can serve rice pilaf in at least one other meal later in the week. I’ve even put it into soup for a different flavor profile. Very versatile. So cook up a big batch. You won’t regret it!

I like this recipe for Zucchini Rice Pilaf I found on the “Taste of Home” site. Though it’s called Zucchini Rice Pilaf, it is equally delicious with yellow squash or other squash you have on hand. Heck, put in broccoli or asparagus if that’s what you have on hand. Also, to control sodium, I used broth instead of bouillon cubes as in the original recipe.
 
Zucchini Rice Pilaf (serves 4)

½ teaspoon dried basil
2 tablespoons butter
2 ½ cups broth
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
½ cup shredded carrot
1 zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
 
In a large skillet, saute basil in butter for two minutes over medium heat. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add rice and carrots.

Reduce heat. Cover skillet and let simmer for 10 minutes. Add squash and cover again. Simmer another 5 minutes, or until rice is tender.



DH’s Rating: 5 Tongues Up
“This goes really well with the chicken. Lots of flavor and different vegetables.”

No comments:

Post a Comment