Wednesday, February 19, 2020

A Month-of-Mediterranean: Pork Posole


Here’s another one of those recipes I make a lot that is from a non-Mediterranean region. Mexico, in fact is very far away from the Mediterranean, but that doesn’t mean you can’t eat more healthfully with foods from their region.

Pork Posole is a satisfying dish with a high flavor profile. I cut the amount of meat usually in traditional posole to make it more healthful and you never miss it! I sometimes use chicken instead of pork. I suppose most any animal protein could be used, but I’ve only used pork and chicken.

It was only after I moved to Arizona that I started making posole, so I’m late to the party. My version of Southwest chili (3 meat/3 bean) is much older.

DH, who grew up in Arizona, knew posole well, but I had never eaten it until the move. Once I tried it, I knew I had to do my own version, and this is what I devised based on flavors that I like, traditional or not.

Sharon’s Pork Posole (serves 8)

1 T olive oil
½# pork roast, cubed, (fresh or cooked leftovers)
2 cups diced onions
4 cloves of garlic, sliced
4 cups poultry stock or broth
1 cinnamon stick
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon cumin
2 cans (15.5 oz) yellow hominy
2 cans (15.5 oz) white hominy
small can (4 oz) diced green chilies (adding other kinds of chili peppers can up the heat level)

If the pork is fresh, put in freezer for ½ hour to stiffen it up, then cut into cubes.
Brown the cubes in heated olive oil over medium heat. Remove.

Add onions to the pot and bring to translucence. Add garlic slices. Cook for two more minutes, continually stirring.

Add in pork and stir around to coat the meat with the onion and garlic flavors.

Add broth, cinnamon stick, cloves, and cumin. Stir. Add in white and yellow hominy and chilies. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and cool until ready to serve. Remove cinnamon stick and re-heat. Serve with corn muffins or tortillas.

DH’s Rating: 5 Tongues Way Up
He loves my posole. It is great on the first day and even better for lunches later in the week.


2 comments:

  1. I’ve never had posole, but I do like Mexican flavors. Adding to my maybes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not an east or midwest food, for sure! Let me know what you think if you try it.

    ReplyDelete