Thursday, February 13, 2020

A Month-of-Mediterranean: Heart-Healthy Eggplant Parmesan


Another apology for picture quality and lack of pix for prep steps. I just forget, sometimes, that I’m supposed to be documenting. Especially if it is a dish I make often.

But, the good news is, here’s another chance to use your homemade marinara sauce in a Meatless Monday meal. I LOVE traditional eggplant parmesan, however, there aren’t too many foods that are so calorie laden. Thus, years ago, I went searching for a more healthful alternative. After combining parts of various recipes, I came up with one we eat on a regular basis. A small side of spaghetti with a little olive oil, salt and pepper accompanied by a side salad, and we have a delicious and filling dinner.

Instead of breading and frying, the traditional way of prepping that is sooo tasty, instead I bake and use a little Panko to stand in for the breading. I use my own marinara sauce, but jarred would work, too. A few simple ingredients is all you need.

Heart-Healthy Eggplant Parmesan (serves 2)

1 eggplant, cut in half length-wise
1 cup marinara sauce, divided
½ cup herbed panko crumbs (or put Italian seasoning in plain crumbs)
½ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (can use grated cheese)
Butter-flavored non-stick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
 
Cut the eggplant and spray the cut side with butter-flavored non-stick cooking spray and place, cut sides down, on the baking sheet. Pierce the skin side of the eggplant four or five times with a fork.

Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and flip over the eggplant halves.

With a fork, “rough up” the surface a bit so the sauce can get down into the meat. Put ¼ cup marinara on each eggplant half.

Divide panko crumbs between the two, patting them down into the marinara a bit. Add the rest of the marinara and top with the mozzarella.

Return to the oven for another five to ten minutes to melt the cheese. Serve with a small side of spaghetti and with a salad.


DH’s Rating: 5 Tongues Up
He really likes this dish when I make it. As I said, it’s a regular at our house. It’s filling, but relatively low-cal and low-carb. I buy small- to medium-size eggplants, so we don’t have any leftovers. I’m not sure how good these would be warmed up the next day. It you do, let me know how it worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment