Tuesday, February 11, 2020

A Month-of-Mediterranean: Tuscan Farro Soup


Many soups are Mediterranean Diet compatible. No doubt you’ve eaten a number of Italian soups over the years: pasta e fagioli, minestrone, tomato basil, or tortellini.

I wanted something a bit different you might not have tried. I came across Mark Bittman’s Tuscan Farro Soup. Farro was new to me, and I thought it might be new to you. Of course, I modified the recipe slightly, because, you know me, I can’t follow a recipe straight! I don’t know if I improved it (since I never had the original), but you can try them both and see if I did. Mark Bittman's recipe is at:

Farro is made from a wheat grown only in certain areas in Italy, Tuscany being one, thus the name of the soup. It is an ancient grain and high in protein and fiber. You can also fix it as a side dish alongside fish and you will have a great meal.

Since you can’t make a little bit of soup, I decided to try this recipe out on some friends yesterday. I used their ratings (inferred from comments) instead of DH’s this time, but just so you know, he was a clean plater. I served my soup with my famous beer bread, Gouda, and fresh fruit compote.

Here’s my version:
Tuscan Farro Soup (10 +  servings)

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons minced garlic
1 cup farro (or sub in spelt or barley)
28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons Italian seasoning
6 cups vegetable stock, more as necessary
Parmesan rind
2 cans white beans (cannelini are best)
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
Freshly grated Parmesan for the table

Put oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; a minute later add onion, celery, carrots, a large pinch of salt and lots of pepper. Cook until vegetables are glossy and onion is softened, 5 to 10 minutes. 

Add garlic, and stir. Add farro, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and stock. Stir.

Bring to a boil, then adjust heat so mixture is at a low simmer. Add the parmesan rind and stir every half hour to distribute the melting cheese.

If the soup is too thick, add more vegetable broth to make soup-like or don’t add broth and serve it as a stew. You can eat the soup any time after the farro is cooked through. You want it a bit chewy, not mushy.

An hour before serving add the beans and basil. Continue the slow simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning, then serve with lots of shaved Parmesan and a basil leaf for garnish.

NOTE: I cook my soups a long time to allow flavors to develop. Bittman’s recipe says this should be ready in less than an hour and a half. So after I got it mixed together, sans beans and basil, I let it simmer for a few hours. You could put it in the slow cooker and let it sit for five hours on low. Add beans and basil and cook for another hour. 

Roz and Diane’s Rating: 5 Tongues (Inferred)
“I suppose I have to go to your blog for the recipe.” They liked it! They really liked it! Yep, this recipe is a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment