Monday, February 11, 2019

Month-of-One-Pan Meals: Pad See Ew


Welcome to my annual Month-of Recipes on this blog. Go rummaging in the attic here and you’ll find past recipe months for appetizers, chicken, soup, mini-desserts, and more. The way it works is, for each day in February I post a recipe that fits the category. This month is one-pan meals, excluding pizza, most casseroles, and slow cooker recipes.

I credit my oldest son for introducing us to Pad See Ew on one of our trips to Brooklyn. A fave restaurant delivers, so we always do Pacific Rim one or two nights. He had ordered it. I tried it. I now order it. And I went looking for my own recipe to make at home. And it’s a Meatless Monday delight! Here's my version of Pad See Ew based on reading several recipes and making adaptations.

Pad See Ew (serves 3-4)
1 cup oyster sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons stir fry sauce
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
¼ cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
Head of broccoli florets, sliced bite-size
8 oz. rice noodles
2 eggs, beaten

Mix well oyster sauce, sugar, stir fry sauce, rice vinegar and soy sauce. Set aside.

In large, heavy bottom pan or skillet, boil several cups of water. While waiting for the water to boil, cover noodles with water and soak for five minutes. When water boils, add drained noodles and cook for three minutes.

Drain the noodles over a large bowl. Cover the noodles in the strainer and let sit over the hot water while you prepare the rest of the dish.

In the same large pan/skillet, turn the heat to medium high and after water from the noodles evaporates, add oil. When sizzling add garlic. Stir and immediately add broccoli. Cook the broccoli until lightly charred. Remove from the skillet.

Add beaten eggs and stir to scramble, breaking up the pieces. Add in the broccoli and cook for another minute.


Dump the noodles back into the hot water to break up the clumps formed as they cooled. Drain and then add the noodles to the skillet. Stir to combine. Add sauce. Mix thoroughly and serve immediately.

DH’s Rating: 5 Tongues Up
I’m on a roll this year! I’ve had more top ratings by this point in the month then in the past! Maybe I’m onto something with these one-pan meals! He really likes how healthful he feels eating rice noodles (instead of our normal wheat) and having such a tasty sauce for them.

2 comments:

  1. This one sounds interesting. I’ve been looking for more vegetable dishes that still has protein.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love this one, and it's so easy! Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete