Saturday, February 2, 2019

Month-of-One-Pan Meals: Mexican Steak and Veggies


Welcome to my annual Month-of Recipes on this blog. Go rummaging in the attic here and you’ll find past recipe months for appetizers, chicken, soup, mini-desserts, and more. The way it works is, for each day in February I post a recipe that fits the category. This month is one-pan meals, excluding pizza, most casseroles, and slow cooker recipes.


Living in the desert Southwest and marrying an Arizonan, I had to up my repertoire of foods from tacos and canned refried beans to some more interesting and varied meals. I am always deconstructing dishes when we eat out and on the search for Southwest foods and seasonings. I trust my tastebuds and always figure I can suss it out!

 I like experimenting with combos of ingredients and seasonings. It's one place I get my kicks!

Interestingly, I discovered the “McCormick’s Grill Master Mojito Lime” seasoning mix in a cooking class in Alaska! Go figure, right? I use this seasoning a lot, and it makes the best ever fajitas, as you’ll see later this month.

 
Mexican Steak and Veggies (serves 4)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon tarragon
2 long carrots, quartered lengthwise
10 small red potatoes
1 bunch of kale
1 can whole baby beets
Medium size Flank steak, about 1-1 ½ pounds
2 tablespoons Mojito Lime seasoning

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Large baking sheet lightly greased.

Press 1 tablespoon seasoning mix into each side of the flanks steak and let sit while preparing the veggies for roasting.

Mix oil and tarragon in a zipper bag and mix together. Add carrots and potatoes. Coat and remove to baking pan leaving room in the middle for other ingredients added later.

Bake for 20 minutes. Remove pan from oven and add meat to the middle. Around it put the baby beets and kale, moving veggies to make space.

Bake for 15 minutes-20 minutes, or until desired doneness. Remove from oven and tent meat for 5 minutes. Serve immediately.

DH’s Rating: 5 Tongues Up 
He really loved this dish, even the kale which he normally disdains. I think that, like brussels sprouts, which he always claimed to hate, when roasted they take on a whole other flavor which he does like. He’s also not a beet fan, but he cleaned his plate that night!

No comments:

Post a Comment