Thursday, February 28, 2019

Month-of-One-Pan Meals: Honey Mustard Chicken and Vegetables


Welcome to my annual Month-of Recipes on this blog. Go rummaging in the attic here and you’ll find past recipe months for appetizers, chicken, soup, mini-desserts, and more. The way it works is, for each day in February I post a recipe that fits the category. This month is one-pan meals, excluding pizza, most casseroles, and slow cooker recipes.

Omigosh! At the end of the month already. And the end of the 8th year of me writing this February recipe extravaganza. It seems appropriate to finish with chicken since we eat so much of it.

At the end, and I never even got to share my Spinach Eggplant Lasagna, Garam Masala Chicken, Pasta Limone, Butternut Squash Bake, Sausage Bake with Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts, Herb-crusted Cauliflower Steaks, Drumsticks Rice and Beans, and, well, you get the idea. I have tons more one-pan meals I could have shared. Crazy, huh?

This is the time of the month, too, when I start thinking about what next February will be like. 29 Days next year! Wow! Do you have suggestions for me? If so, put them in the comments section. I have been tossing around some topics (I’m down to four possibilities), but I’d like to hear what you’d like to see on these pages.

And if you haven’t gone rummaging among the archives, this might be a time to do that, while you’re here, before you forget. Past Februaries have had 28 or more recipes for soup, eggs, chicken, appetizers, mini-desserts, recipes with few ingredients, weekly menu plans, and this month’s earlier one-pan meals.

Ready for the last meal of February? It’s a keeper! The zing of the mustard with the sweet honey is a nice flavor profile.

Honey-Mustard Chicken and Vegetables (serves 4)
4 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
16 large brussels sprouts, halved
1 large bell pepper, cut into strips
1 small head cauliflower, separated into bite-size florets
Coarse sea salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup honey
¼ cup Dijon mustard
 
Set oven at 375 degrees. Prepare a large baking dish or baking sheet pan with light coating
of oil.

Prepare vegetables and put on baking pan, mixed or separated as I did. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle on salt and pepper.

Place chicken thighs, skin-side up on top of vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
 
Mix well the honey and mustard. Coat all sides of chicken thighs, drizzling any remainder over the top of each thigh.

Bake for 50-60 minutes until chicken is brown and registers 165 on meat thermometer. Serve immediately. Crusty bread is a nice complement.


DH’s Rating: 4 ½ Tongues Up
“How did you like this dish?”
“The chicken was great, but I didn’t like the cauliflower. Too soft.”
“The Brussels sprouts were soft, too.”
“Yeah, but the texture was different. But, hey, it’s really good. The chicken was great.”
I’ll take that!

No comments:

Post a Comment