Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Month-of-One-Pan Meals: Mojito Lime Fajitas


Welcome to my annual Month-of Recipes on this blog. Go rummaging in the attic here and you’ll find past recipe months for appetizers, chicken, soup, mini-desserts, and more. The way it works is, for each day in February I post a recipe that fits the category. This month is one-pan meals, excluding pizza, most casseroles, and slow cooker recipes.

We really enjoy my cena falsa mexicanas (faux Mexican dinners). One of our favorites is fajitas. I try to keep meals nutritious since that’s the way we roll, so I don’t use refried beans, but we eat black beans instead with no added fat or meat. I use leftover steak or chicken or pork, and the amount of meat per fajita varies each time. Sometimes our fajitas are all or almost all veggies, and that’s okay because the flavor is there.

I have a cast iron grill pan I use on the stove top or I use my cast iron skillet. It needs to be screaming hot. If you don’t have one, put it on the list for your next gift-giving occasion.

You can cut up raw meat (pork, chicken, or steak) into strips you season and flash fry, or, do what I do most of the time and use up leftover meat which cleans out the refrigerator and speeds up dinner by a couple of minutes. This recipe uses raw steak. The big deal for us is the low meat to veggie ratio. This is a relatively healthful choice on a Mexican restaurant menu when eating out, too.

While sharing my Mexican Steak recipe, I mentioned a great seasoning blend I discovered in Alaska, Mojito Lime seasoning blend, and that is the star in my fajitas, too. Fajitas and stir frys are the quickest meals I make, I think. The prep is more time-consuming than the cooking, but you can do that way ahead of time.

Mojito Lime Fajitas (serves two)
1 bell pepper, cut into strips (use a third each of three colors for more appeal)
1 medium onion, cut into strips
1 cup meat, cut into strips
3 tablespoons Mojito Lime seasoning blend, divided
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 flour tortillas, warmed
2 lime slices, optional

In a zipper bag, put 2 tablespoons oil and 1½ tablespoons Mojito Lime seasoning. Mush to combine.

Cut vegetables into strips and put into the zipper bag. Toss and massage to coat thoroughly. Put aside for a few minutes.

Massage meat strips with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle meat strips with 1½ tablespoons Mojito Lime seasoning and massage into the meat.
Heat grill/skillet to screaming hot. Add meat and flash fry. Remove from skillet to a covered dish to keep warm.

Add vegetables to the grill/skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes until onion begin to soften. Add meat back in and toss together. Remove from heat and distribute on tortillas to serve with lime slices for squirting if desired.

D’s Rating: 5 Tongues Up
“I love it when you make fajitas. I feel so healthy!”
“And you like the flavors? It’s not just about health?”
“Oh, yeah. That goes without saying.”
Hmm. Well, I like for you to say it.

2 comments:

  1. Do you have the ingredients for the Mojito Lime seasoning, Sharon? This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. David loves my fajitas and he's an Arizonan, so I take it as a compliment! I buy the seasoning already prepared, but I looked on the bottle and it says: "sea salt, sugar, spices (including spearmint and chili pepper), garlic, green bell pepper, onion, orange peel, citric acid, lime peel, and natural flavors (???). A lot of stuff. When McCormick stopped making their cocoa chile powder blend, I had to come up with my own recipe. I fear that can happen with this one, and this will be harder to do a copycat of.

    ReplyDelete