Monday, February 10, 2014

A Month-of--Recipes: Cheddar Cheese Puffs


At one of our neighborhood appetizer parties, Joan Alf brought these addictive little guys. I could not believe how much flavor was packed into the one-bite treat. Of course I asked for the recipe, which she graciously shared. And of course I make them every time I can.

I am especially attached to this treat because of a very personal connection. I had a stroke almost two years ago. My magical and wonderful occupational and physical therapists brought me back from a totally dead right side to the mobility I have today. As part of therapy, they asked what I wanted to get back to doing in my life. “Cooking” was my first response.

The occupational therapists tailored part of my rehab around the kitchen. I went shopping for the ingredients for Cheddar Cheese Puffs, reaching, bending, and lifting at the grocery store. I had to stop and sit three times.

Then, the next day, I made the recipe. The stirring, kneading, and ball-rolling were very difficult. It took me close to an hour to get them ready to bake. Trust me. It won’t take you even close to that!

Cheddar Cheese Puffs
1 cup extra sharp cheddar, shredded
½ cup flour
¼ cup butter, softened
1 big squirt of regular mustard

Preheat oven to 400°.
Combine all ingredients by mixing together then kneading to incorporate evenly. Roll into one-inch balls.
Place at least one-inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Serve immediately.

Note: These are not as good cold. If you have leftovers, reheat in an oven before serving.

I love these Cheddar Cheese Puffs, and so does DH--for a lot of reasons!
DH’s Rating: 5 Tongues Up!

No comments:

Post a Comment