Sunday, February 17, 2013

Month-of-Chicken: GarLimey Chicken


Wow, naming this baby was tricky! Big Mama was very interested in the steps and ingredients in this chicken dish. In the recipe we ate, I used chili powder, but I dropped it out of this version. The false taste that chili powder gives really tainted the dish.

Every time I use chili powder, I vow not to do it again, but then I’m out of the cocoa chili powder blend I buy, so I have to make my own. Sigh!

On to this recipe, however. It’s not a hard dish, but it does have several steps. It’s not one of my fix-it-and-forget-it recipes (like Cocoa Chili Chicken). Still, the novelty of flavors makes it worth trying. It is a nuanced dish with much layering.

GarLimey Chicken (serves 6)

1/8 t paprika
1 t onion powder
2 t rosemary, divided
¼ t sage
1 t parsley
½ t salt
½ t pepper
3 large chicken breasts, cut in half
2 T olive oil
1 T butter
zest of one lime
juice of one lime
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ c white wine

Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cut large breasts in half.

Combine paprika, onion powder, 1 t rosemary, sage, parsley, salt, and pepper. Rub all over the chicken pieces.

Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Place chicken into skillet and brown on both sides. Reduce heat to medium and put on a lid. Let chicken continue cooking through.

Zest one lime and then juice it. Mix zest and juice with garlic. Lift lid on chicken and spoon mixture over the top of each piece. Pour in wine around the chicken. Return lid and let simmer.

After ~5 minutes, remove lid and continue heating the pan liquid to reduce to a thick glaze. Spoon glaze over chicken pieces and sprinkle on the remaining rosemary. Serve.

We had quinoa with it and that was a great accompaniment to the spiciness of the chicken.

DH’s Rating: 4 Tongues Up. He is not a chili powder fan, and he didn’t like the off-taste, but he wants me to make it again. Big Mama liked it, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment