Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Month of Soups: White Chicken Chili

We do love our Southwest-inspired soups, DH and I. He grew up in AZ; I’m a happy transplant. I’ll tell the story later this month of the first chili I ever made for him (in Georgia) that has since morphed into my three-meat chili, another family favorite. It didn’t start out that way! But I digress.


Today’s chili was an attempt I made to eat lighter and somewhat more healthfully. It is pretty high in fiber and mostly lower in fat, at least compared to some of the soups this month. After yesterday’s soup, you’re going to need this slimmer one.


I experimented with ingredients several times (and it had to be easy) until this White Chicken Chili won out.



White Chicken Chili (Serves 6-8)

1 large onion

2 T olive oil

5 cloves of garlic, sliced

4 oz can green chilies

1 qt turkey broth

½ c white wine

2 cans white beans

2 c leftover chicken, white/dark/or both

In a large pot or Dutch oven, sauté onion in olive oil until translucent. Add garlic slices, chilies, broth and white wine. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Add beans and chicken. Simmer another 15 minutes and it’s ready to serve.


For a special treat, try it in a hollowed out boule bowl (Make the sides pretty thick). Eat the bread bowl around as you empty it. Save the bread inside to make croutons with later.


DH’s Rating: 6 Tongues Up! Sorry, he broke the rules. He told me 5 tongues is an arbitrary measure, and he wouldn’t be bullied by the fact that I was going to publish his transgression.

No comments:

Post a Comment