Wednesday, February 17, 2016

A Month-of-Eggs: Five-Spiced Eggs in Ham Cups

Five-Spice Baked Eggs in Ham Cups
This could be the easiest recipe this month. There is hardly any me in it. So wouldn’t you know this would get his highest tongues up rating! Go figure!

When I complained (okay, whined) about how the rating was unfair since it was so simple. He apologized. “Okay. Warn me about how many tongues up I should give a recipe.”   
<my hands thrown up in air> “No, no. You have to be honest.” Oh, well, right?

You can make your own Chinese Five-Spice powder, or you can purchase it in the spice section of your grocery. Chinese Five-Spice powder includes: anise, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. Yummers!
Five-Spiced Eggs in Ham Cups (serves 1)
2 very thin deli ham slices
1 egg
Chinese Five-Spice powder, a sprinkle
½ English muffin, toasted
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Put one slice of ham in a muffin cup, its side hanging over the top of the cup.

Put another slice opposite, with its side hanging over the top.

Crack an egg into the opening of overlapping slices. You will have to push aside bunched up ham to keep the egg within the ham.

Sprinkle with a bit of Chinese Five-Spice powder and put in oven.

Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending upon how runny you like your eggs.

Lift out of the muffin cup and place on the toasted English muffin.

DH’s Rating: 5 Tongues Up. It must be the processed meat. I don’t let him eat very much of it, so he craves it. But, I really liked it too, and I liked that I could easily make a dozen of these for a brunch or company breakfast. The spice gives the eggs a different aspect that I enjoyed, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment