Tuesday, December 30, 2014

An Attitude of Gratitude


Heading into the New Year, we reflect. But shouldn’t we be doing that all year? What’s with this penchant for saving up reflections for the end?

2014 was not always the best of times, what with major eye surgery for DH and my mother dying and … well, other stuff that was so painful.

2012 was another challenging year for me. Is there a pattern forming for even numbered years? That year I had a stroke, broke my arm, and my father died.

That is life. It hands you events, experiences, sorrows, and joys. You greet them with expectation and positivity--as best as you are able. You try to grasp the features that shed hope. In the challenging years, I try to find those positive things that happened alongside the tough ones.

In 2014, oldest son graduated from law school after being first in his class each semester. Youngest son decided on a career path and applied to graduate schools. Oldest son and wife announced another pregnancy after suffering a miscarriage. I got another book contract. A good friend finished a year and a half of chemo treatments and is cancer free.

So on balance, it is balanced. I am trying to be more aware of both large and small blessings, to develop an attitude of gratitude and mindfulness about the good things that happen to me each day. To search out the positive elements even in negative events. They exist. And the search is worth it.

So, bring it on, 2015. I greet you with high expectations for another fabulous year. And if--no, when--you throw me curve balls, I am prepared to make the best of it. I will practice positivity. I will cope with what I am given; the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Because I know, in the grand scheme of things, I am surrounded by the love and caring of family and friends. I am living my dream to publish fiction. Life is so good. Ring out the old and ring in the new. I am ready for come what may. (Please don’t take that as a challenge, Fate Gods!)

No comments:

Post a Comment