Thursday, September 27, 2012

Going to the Dogs


There’s a cute famiy story--well, Chicago doesn’t think it’s cute--but everyone else laughs heartily when the tale is told.

Chicago was in elementary school and our dog-du-jour was Tasha. I’m a cooker--have I mentioned that?--and I was experimenting with a dog cookie recipe. I didn’t like all the unnatural ingredients in the store-bought ones, they were expensive, and the fat content was astronomical. So, I thought, how hard can it be.

But, I digress.

Chicago came home from school and spied the dog cookies cooling on the counter. “Oh, goodie,” he said. “Cookies!” or words to that effect. “Can I have one?”

“Sure,” I said. (I know; it should have been “Surely”, but it wasn’t. Okay?)

“Chocolate chip?” he asked as he reached over for the biggest one.

“Nope,” I replied honestly.

He bit into it and grimaced before rushing to the sink to spit it out.

“Hey!” I yelled. “Give me the rest of that.” I bent down and let Tasha take it from my hand.

“You fed me dog cookies?” The disbelief in his voice was comical.

“To be accurate, you grabbed one from the rack. It’s on you. There’s nothing wrong with them except they didn’t meet your expectations.” I mean really, there was nothing in those cookies to hurt him. So they weren’t sweet! The only thing in those cookies that I hadn’t fed him before was a can of chopped meat dog food. You see my point?

Nevertheless, he still to this day holds a grudge.

Back to the dog cookies. Over the years and dogs, I have perfected my dog cookie recipe. Current beneficiary, Maudie, drools, reallllly drools when I am baking them for her.

When we were foster parents for the Desert Labrador Retriever Rescue group, I gave a package of the cookies and the recipe to whomever we turned the dog over to. And now, just for you, I am sharing a treat your pup will love. Promise!

Tasha and Pooh Bear Moore’s Dog Cookies

5 c. Bisquick, HeartSmart
5 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. wheat germ
6 T. garlic powder
1 qt. beef broth
1 egg
½ c. molasses
22 oz. can chopped meat canned dog food.

Mix dry ingredients well. Blend in broth. Add egg, molasses, and dog food. Mix well. Drop by tablespoons on Pam-sprayed cookie sheet. Bake at 450° until browned (~ 10-12 minutes). Makes 10 dozen cookies. Freeze most of them. Put enough for the week in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator for treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment