Monday, November 5, 2018

Name That Book


I thought you might like to see how I visualize Chief of Police Ari for the United States Colony on Mars. And beside her is Dr. Robb Otts, the doctor, medical examiner, dentist, and surgeon for the U.S. colony. Don’t they make a nice couple?

I’ve been on fire with my writing for NaNoWriMo! In the first four days, I banged out almost 12,000 words, way ahead of schedule. As of this posting, I am sitting at 11,832 words. However, this morning, you can count on me being at the keyboard adding more to the tale. By the time you read this post, I expect to be approaching 15,000 words. That’s only 3168 more words today.

So what? Every year I am so stuffed with ideas that it’s like my head explodes on the keyboard and gets uploaded to my pages. Admittedly, I have hit more words this year than usual by this time, still to lift a phrase from GOT: I know that “winter is coming.”

The dreaded saggy, soggy middle, exacerbated by fatigue, means that a slow down is coming. I know it, expect it, and fear it! Am I creating my own self-fulfilling prophecy by anticipating the slow down. I bank words every year against what I see as inevitable—days when I come nowhere near the daily 1,667 words that, if averaged daily, will result in “winning” National Novel Writing Month. Maybe this year will be different.

But to take my mind off the coming (maybe) slough of despond, I have a job for you to do. Help me out here. I need different title. Murder on Mars  is so BOOORRRING!

Think of this as book one in a trilogy of “Mars Murder Mysteries.” What title would grab science fiction and mystery lovers? What shall I call this book set 100 years in the future on another planet?

Please offer suggestions in the comments below. If I choose your title, I’ll name a character after you in book two. How’s that for an incentive? Put on your thinking caps! And thank you for taking a whack at my dilemma.

Now, back to writing!

6 comments:

  1. Excellent, Sharon! I know the feeling of "head exploding with words," even if I'm not doing NaNo this year. You've got this! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Friend! I do think this will be a winner. I usually know by now if there's no juice in the story. This one seems to have what it takes to get to the end. But, saggy soggy middles can do me in!

      Delete
  2. I love the photos.. Id have to know a little more though to come up with a title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point, Cathy. Did you read the post before this one? It gives some details. Maybe that will be enough to get the juices going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard to do a title when we don't know anything about the storyline or characters or setting or anything. Red Planet Deadly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting title. A way to say Mars without using the word. Thanks!

      Delete