Monday, January 15, 2018

Writing Biographies for Middle Graders: Challenge Two for 2018


In this Year of Writing Dangerously, I am challenging myself. Last week I wrote about Challenge One for 2018—writing a thriller. I have a couple of ideas I’m trying out in my head.

Scenario one involves a current hot topic in the news. What happens when ex-partners disagree about who owns/what ought to happen to frozen embryos they created while still together. And what is some nefarious group sets out to “collect” (steal) the one million frozen embryos stored for some, of course, nefarious purpose?

In scenario two, during a presidential election cycle, a candidate is shot. He is elected post-mortem. Who is prez when he dies before taking oath of office? Do they vote again? Is it the Veep? Or is it the other candidate, a third party dark horse who finished second?

And there are many more possibilities for me to select among. But this post is about my second challenge, and it is one I for sure will complete in 2018.

The second challenge actually belongs to another of my writing personae, Caroline Adams, who writes historical fiction for adults and biography for middle grades students. Caroline/I is/am enamored of Intrepid Women, and this series of bios is about some of them.

In 2017, I actually did complete most of a middle grade bio of Elizabeth Jennings Graham, all but the last few pages. My writing group, in effect said, “Not even a good try. Start again.”

Well, that wasn’t what I wanted to hear. But it was exactly what I feared they would tell me. And, worse, I knew they were correct.

So, why the epic fail? I rarely been so far off between my vision and my implementation. Is it something about writing biographies? Something about writing for that age group? Something about how little I know of my subject? Maybe all three of these?

I am taking steps to rectify each. There is very little available on how to write biographies. For such popular subgenre, I was astounded at how little info there is on the how-to’s and the elements of an effective biography in book form. While there is more available on-line, I wouldn’t characterize it as a plethora. I discuss this more in a post this Thursday on www.carolineadamswriter.blogspot.com.

We all know, don’t we, that writing for children may be the most difficult kind of writing? Those guys are more vicious critics than the professionals. Their critiques happen in homes across America each night. The good, the bad, and the ugly. One must know the psyche of the age group you’re writing for. Understand their interests and concerns. Know the language attributes they use and understand. Find the intersection of what they already know and what they want/need to know. I thought I had this one nailed because of my education background. But no. The crit group pointed out how stilted and artificial I sounded. Sigh. Try again. It’s been a long time since I worked daily with children but it is essential I get the right tone for middle graders.

As to the third possible reason, am I bluffing my way through this since there is so little available about this woman. And much of what is there is contradictory, even to birth dates! So am I covering (or trying to cover) up my ignorance with fill about the era, the issues, the culture so as to disguise the lack of substantive content? How do biographers cover people like Lizzie when so little information exists? I am in contact with a man who has written an adult biography of Lizzie. He is pointing me to some of his resources since he is in New York City and has contacts with the history folk there.

These two challenges, writing a thriller and producing a good middle grade biography should be enough to occupy any free time I find I have. I’ll save other challenges for next year and beyond. There’s always something new to be learned, done or tried. Right?

Please share this post with others. Thank you!

Facebook: Writers, do you challenge yourself to try new genres, formats? Sharon Arthur Moore has set two challenges for herself for 2018. What are you working on in The Year of Writing Dangerously? http://bit.ly/2Dg1eTF

Twitter: #Writers, to keep learning we need to try new challenges. What are you trying in The Year of Writing Dangerously? Read here what @Good2Tweat is trying. http://bit.ly/2Dg1eTF

No comments:

Post a Comment