Tuesday, February 25, 2020

A Month-of-Mediterranean: Green Beans with Pork and Potatoes


I found another recipe to try on the “Mediterranean Living” site, this one from Crete. The site shares traditional recipes from Greece, Spain, and other countries that have been updated and are easy to prepare. Take a look.

I was having a leisurely lunch with friends the day I prepared this. It was nice to throw it all together before I left, knowing that dinner would be ready when we were that night. As usual, cutting up the meat and vegetables took the most time. Maybe 15 minutes. Then forget about it.

In this take on pork stew, the pound of pork is shared among six to eight people, so it’s fits the guidelines of limiting meat. I added the seasoning since it sounded too bland to me.
 
The meat to vegetable ratio gives a clear advantage to the veggies. To the original recipe I added more tomato, a sweet potato and some Greek Seasonin, but leave them out and prepare the original recipe if you’d prefer. 

Since it is a stew, you can serve with naan or pita bread or serve over rice, couscous, or lentils to make it heartier and go further. I served this with chili-cheese cornbread. A nice fresh fruit salad cuts the heaviness.

Green Beans with Pork and Potatoes (serve 6-8)

1-28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons McCormick’s Greek Seasoning
1 pound lean pork, cut into bite-sized cubes
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 carrots, sliced in rounds
2 celery stalks, sliced in chunks
1 pound fresh green beans (can use frozen)
2 medium to large potatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks
1 large sweet potato, cut into bite-sized chunks
Salt and pepper, to taste

Mix the Greek Seasoning with the tomatoes and set aside.

Add carrots, celery, green beans, onion, and both kinds of potatoes to slow cooker. Top with pork then tomatoes. Stir to combine.

Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours or until meat is fork-tender. Stir to combine and serve.

DH’s Rating: 3 Tongues Up
“This is different. I like it, but I've liked other dinners better.” Okay. I thought it was better than he did, but this wasn’t my favorite meal either. But, boy, is it nutrient packed and filling!

No comments:

Post a Comment